Thursday, September 13, 2012

English #6 Phrase



1) If you rattle someone's cage, you do something to make them angry, often on purpose

examples:

I wouldn't approach John at the moment, someone's really rattled his cage this morning and he's in a horrible mood. 

Why are you so cross? Who's rattled your cage today? 

My girlfriend deliberately hid my car keys so that I wouldn't go out with my friends – it's really rattled my cage! 


2) When a period of time, which is marked by a significant event, comes to an end, we say it is the end of an era.

example:

We're going to be leaving university next week – it will be the end of an era.

The defending champion lost her title in the marathon, marking the end of an era for her athletics success.


Most people choose to download music nowadays. It's the end of an era for CDs.